Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Another Chapter

Everyday, it seems, I come across another online site pertaining to books. In just the last week, for example, I received something from NPR Book Notes, Powell’s Books, Random House, The American Library Association’s Book List, Oprah’s Book Club. There’s also Shelfari, Goodreads, Living Social and Daily Lit. And I’d guess there are hundreds more professional sites as well as a long list of book bloggers like me.

So I have decided to go back to my original idea for this blog and focus on language. Perhaps it’s the teacher in me or perhaps the days of diagramming sentences are instilled deep in my memory. But I am constantly intrigued by the English language - its origins, its past and current usage, and how it’s been beautifully expressed by wonderful authors.

For example, have you ever heard of “famine ridges”? I hadn’t, until I read that they refer to the fields formed by the abandoned potato crops during the Irish famine that began in 1845.

I'll still express my opinions about books, of course. Especially when the writing makes you think or learn, or laugh or cry. Or when you hate to turn to that last page.

If you have ideas or suggestions, please feel free to comment. If you can’t access “post a comment,” you may send an email to barbara37@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment