Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"Never read a book through merely because you have begun it."


This quote from John Witherspoon is an apt one for me today.

Have you ever begun a book but did not want to continue? Did a little voice scold you because you were taught to finish what you started? Did you obey that voice and struggle on? Or did you decide that there are just too many other books that you’d enjoy much more? This afternoon I made the decision to put down John Updike’s In the Beauty of the Lilies.

When Updike died recently, newspapers were full of praise for his many works. I hadn’t read any of his books in years, so when I saw In the Beauty of the Lilies at a book sale, I picked it up. But now it’s in my recycle pile, as I have a stack of other books ready to be opened.

I'd like to hear what book or books you may have started but not finished.

1 comment:

  1. I can think of a lot of books I wish I had not finished!

    I am often swayed by a glittering review of a book and on impulse buy it (hardcover - lots of money)and feel obligated to finish it because of the expense. This happened with Philip Caputo's Acts of Faith and Amos Oz's A Tale of Love & Darkness, both books I tried hard to read, but ultimately put down. I am trying to use the public library more; that way, if I decide to not read the book I will feel less guilty.

    ReplyDelete