Monday, May 4, 2009

A New Page

Welcome to my blog about reading, writing, books, and language.

Like so many life-long readers, I cannot imagine a day without a book, a newspaper or a magazine. As a child, the Brooklyn Public Library on Nostrand Avenue was my introduction to the world of books and to the joy of discovering new worlds. I recall the first book I ever purchased: Little Rose of the Mesa by Madeline Brandeis. I was in the fourth grade. I’ve often wondered if that book was the seed that sprouted my life-long love of the West.

Many years and many books later, reading is an even more important part of my life. As I grow older, however, I have become more discriminating about the books I read. There’s no time to waste on the less but wonderful books. But sometimes I’m fooled.

Bridge of Sighs for example, by Richard Russo, which received high praise at its release in 2007. As I’m an admirer of the author who received a Pulitzer Prize for his Empire of the Falls, I attended his talk when he appeared at SUNY Albany to promote Bridge of Sighs. I bought a copy and asked him to autograph it. It was a big disappointment, however. Not only did the beginning promise more than it delivered, it was much too long due to a lack of efficient editing.

Though I’m not a professional book reviewer, I will use this blog to voice my opinions about the world of words. I hope you’ll express your own opinions and offer suggestions for topics. If you have trouble replying to the blog, please email me at www.barbara1037@gmail.com

Today’s quote is from Mark Twain:
"Classic": A book which people praise but don't read.

2 comments:

  1. It seems that so often a famous author gets to a point and is able to rest on her/his laurels and no one feels the need to call her on it! It's sort of like the emperor and his clothes, who will be brave enough to say something negative? I have started a new rule: if a book is on the bestseller list I will be very, very wary of reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I am so glad you've create this blog. I cannot imagine life without books. (Actually, although it's my heartfelt sentiment, that's a quote by Thomas Jefferson on a t-shirt I saw at the Library of Congress!)

    I haven't read "Bridge of Sighs," but I have often been so favorably impressed by authors I've heard interviewed on NPR that I've gone out and bought their books. I've learned the hard way that giving a good interview doesn't equate to writing a good book.

    ReplyDelete